"As an associate, client development is downplayed. As a consequence, there is a tendency to put it at the bottom of the priority list, after work for partners, firm committees, CLEs, seminars and professional associations. Having to report on my client/professional development progress on a bi-weekly or monthly basis makes it a top priority and is a good reminder of its importance in my career."
- Sr. Associate, Corporate Bankruptcy & Financial Restructuringread more
Frequently Asked Questions.
What is client development coaching?
Client development coaching is a structured, straightforward process that equips motivated professionals with the tools, knowledge, practical steps, and accountability he or she needs to become more effective in building client relationships and generating new business. The program is tailored to meet the specific needs and priorities of the professional being coached.
The combination of individual attention and accountability inherent in the coaching process helps professionals better achieve their client development goals at a much faster and more consistent pace than they would on their own.
Why do I need a client development coach?
Most professionals have client development aspirations, but often lack the clarity of vision, specific direction, time and accountability to move forward. A coach can help a motivated professional turn a business development aspiration into a concrete vision through clear goals, relevant action steps, and accountability measures.
In what ways will a client development coach help me?
A client development coach will help you:
- become better equipped to bring in business and build your own client base
- determine where you want to go and how you are going to get there
- think through specific opportunities and create a purpose-driven plan
- zero in on the client development matters most important to you
- identify your strengths and help you find ways to use them in building business relationships and achieving desired outcomes
- clarify and define your client development objectives and action steps
- keep action steps simple and realistic
- remain on course so that you move forward at a more consistent pace than you would on your own
How does a coaching program work?
Each coaching program is tailored to the specific needs of a firm or professional. The typical program takes just six months with approximately ten sessions. In general, the sessions will be used to discuss and review key objectives, progress, concerns, obstacles and successes. All coaching sessions are confidential.